The Laurelhurst Parent Teacher Association is a volunteer organization that strives to provide a sense of extended community and to support the school, teachers, parents and each individual child. PTA hopes that when each child comes to school they have an equal opportunity to be successful learners.
The Laurelhurst PTA coordinates several community events during the year and participates in other projects including Passport Club, Teacher Appreciation Week, a school-wide student directory, the garden and outdoor classroom, Newsnotes, and this website. You can support the PTA by joining now. You can also support the PTA by attending monthly meetings — normally held in the school library, but for the time being on Zoom — and by volunteering time and skills to the many events and fundraisers run by the PTA.
PTA funds supplement PPS budgets. Every teacher, counselor, and learning center staff is given an allotment of PTA grants to fund their classroom needs every year. Here are just some of the items we’ve been able to provide to our school over the years:
- Classroom teaching resources including Wordly Wise, 1st grade Sitton Spelling, 3rd and 4th grade Quick Words, Map of the Month, Handwriting without Tears
- Leveled and inclusive books for classrooms and library, magazine subscriptions
- Chromebooks and chromebook carts
- Passport club
- Author visits
- Teacher appreciation week
- Teacher professional development
- Garden program/instructor
- Website/membership toolkit/NewsNotes newsletter
- Back-to-school ice cream social
- Scholarships for field trips and enrichments
- Community food pantry
- Eighth grade promotion support
- Staff retirement party
- Safety patrol end of year event
- Women in history lunch
- Ongoing turf maintenance
- One-time purchases, e.g. curtains for stage, poster printer, safety banners, earthquake preparedness
Want to get involved? Learn more here!
The Laurelhurst PTA is committed to nurturing a climate that sees diversity as an asset and works towards equity and inclusion in the following ways as a collective body:
We support our school community and its staff in promoting our students’ understanding of, and efforts to recognize and dismantle, the institutional and cultural barriers to individual achievement because of race, class, gender, national origin, ethnicity, culture, disability, age, faith, gender identity and sexual orientation.
We support the use of PTA funds to purchase resources, host school-wide events, and provide professional development opportunities for staff and families that intentionally foster institutional and cultural equity, diversity, and inclusion by creating educational opportunities, raising awareness, and providing strategies and tools to dismantle bias to the collective benefit of all children of Portland.
As a body, we will continue to develop within our own operations and policies a purposeful spirit and discipline that advances equity, diversity, and inclusion.
PTA Board 2022-2023
- President: Kelly Fisher
- Vice Presidents: Liza Milesnick
- Treasurer: Jory Ruscio
- Assistant Treasurer: Livia Castrucci
- Secretary: Adrienne Baerg
- Membership Coordinator: Neil Hasser
- Volunteer Coordinator: Samantha Janec
- Legislative Chair: Hannah Kramer
- Playground Chair: Carlin Williamson
- Technology: Mike Witherell
- Communications: Jake Wise
- Equity Chairs: Molly McCracken Kumar and Sydney Busby